Dublin Bus and Travel Assistant Roger have to date, helped over 1,200 people with disabilities to negotiate the public transport networks of the capital, giving them freedom to travel.
Established in 2008, the Travel Assistance Scheme helps people with disabilities to gain the confidence and skills necessary to use Dublin Bus and/or the Luas and DART in their daily lives.
To highlight this life-changing and free service, and to acknowledge Roger’s work to date, a short video was put together to demonstrate the value of this service. The video can be viewed here.
Recent years has seen increased demand for the service and two additional Travel Assistants have been added to the team. Dublin Bus now wants more people to join our team to empower more people with disabilities to use public transport.
All applicants must meet these requirements below.
A minimum of 5 years experience working with people with disabilities.
Have excellent interpersonal skills and fluency in English.
Have a good knowledge of Dublin City’s transport network
Be willing to work in an outdoor environment
Role and purpose
• Supports policies on accessibility and ensures high quality accessible service and compliance with disability legislation.
• Carries out customer support work as outlined in Travel Assist programme.
• Work as part of the overall Travel Assistant team to ensure day-to-day running of the department.
• Comply with all relevant Data Protection legislation
• Comply with all Quality, Environmental, Energy, Sustainability, Health and Safety policies and procedures
• Foster good relationships with employees and relevant personnel in own area of responsibility, with Trade Unions, other departments of Dublin Bus and CIÉ Group of Companies and with relevant external agencies and stakeholders
Areas of responsibility
• Consult with customers to develop a programme to meet customer travel needs.
• Ensure all internal and external customers are dealt with in a courteous and professional manner.
• Support and encourage customers with travel needs to gain confidence and familiarity with using public transport services so as to enable independent living.
• Respect the privacy, dignity and needs of individual customers.
• Ensure the highest levels of confidentiality and professionalism in all aspects of work.
• Understand communication issues in relation to interacting with customers
• Keep up to date with disability legislation and ensure Company policies and procedures are followed
• Work with customers who have a variety of disabilities
• Other duties applicable to position as agreed with management
• Provide cover for other employees when required
The following competencies represent the set of knowledge, skills and abilities required for the position.
• Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situation and adopt an effective course of action within established guidelines. Interpersonal skills
• Listens and empathises with other peoples’ needs and concerns and demonstrates sensitivity and tact.
• Communicates effectively in the English language, written and spoken, as appropriate to the requirements of role.
• Ability to interact effectively with others and maintain good working relationships both internally and externally
• Open to change, new ideas and new ways of working.
• Can adjust to changing tasks and priorities and new situations.
Customer Service / Focus
• Interacts well with all customers and understands customers’ needs.
• Works closely with customers and customer groups, regularly inviting feedback and suggestions.
• Ability to understand and respond appropriately to customers with physical and emotional needs
• Specific knowledge of issues relating to customers with disabilities
• Garda Vetting is required for this role
The recruitment process will involve the following steps.
First round video interview via Microsoft Teams
Second round in person interview
The closing date for applications is Friday the 30th of April 2021
Permanent / Full-time