Dublin Port, Dublin
Hugh Munro & Co. Ltd
We are seeking to fill a new graduate mechanical engineering role. The successful applicant will work in a small team across a wide range of disciplines and all projects phases from conception to completion.
This offers scope for broad development and a unique opportunity to leadership positions on projects, pending performance.
The applicant engineer should:
1) Have a good technical understanding of core engineering principles such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.
2) Be a motivated self-starter, with a good work ethic, who can actively progress their own learning and development. This will involve learning on the job with exposure to specific codes and standards, sophisticated software products, and complex calculations.
3) Have an ability to review and assimilate information.
4) Be comfortable working independently and in a small team environment.
5) Display good organisational and time management skills that will enable them to work on several projects at the same time.
6) Be a solution oriented, creative problem solver.
The successful candidate will undergo a programme of on the job training, close supervision and coaching. This will be supplemented with external training where appropriate. The competences that the candidate will be expected to achieve are as follows:
a) Develop technical competences so that they can specify equipment (valves, pumps, meters) for particular projects. This will involve carrying out head loss calculations for sizing both pipelines and equipment. It may also require heat loss calculations for sizing steam boiler and / or thermal oil heaters.
b) Bring designs to a point where the information can be detailed on drawings, both process and instrumentation, and general arrangement.
c) Draft enquiry documents so that suppliers can bid for products and services, from individual items of equipment to overall projects. Bids will be evaluated.
d) Gain an understanding of the legislation, guidance and codes of practice, that are relevant to the petroleum industry.
e) Become familiar with health & safety and environmental legislation and standards so that work on site can be supervised and permits issued.
Permanent / Full-time